Position: Algoma University Students’ Union People’s Garden Coordinator
Contract length: One (1) year
Hours: 25/ week (summer); 10-15 (fall and winter)
Remuneration: $17.20/ hour
Department: AUSU Equity Centre
Location: Sault Ste. Marie Campus
The Algoma University Students’ Union (AUSU) is a non-profit organization committed to ensuring that the university experience for students is fulfilling, safe, and enjoyable. AUSU exists to represent students and provide services that address student needs, well-being, and opportunities.
As an organization that is run by students, for students, AUSU works to ensure that students’ voices are heard, recognized, and respected. As a student of Algoma University, you are a general member of the Algoma University Students’ Union.
AUSU provides a number of advocacy and equity based services such as the People’s Garden, in addition to services such as the health and dental insurance plan, academic support, the student newspaper, and more.
AUSU is seeking a part-time coordinator, whose purpose is to oversee the logistics, operations, and development of the AUSU People’s Garden. The People’s Garden is an on-campus garden that provides fresh produce and herbs to the AUSU Food Pantry, coordinates education around sustainability, food security, and campus engagement, and hosts community meals.
The duties and responsibilities of the shall include but not be limited to:
- Oversee the operations of The People’s Garden, including planting, maintenance, harvesting, and community engagement
- Assist with the coordination and implementation of garden repair and maintenance projects
- Research and gather resources necessary for garden operations
- Establish and maintain working partnerships with local community organizations, Algoma University departments, and AUSU services
- Complete weekly reports and provide updates to the AUSU Equity Centre, including reports on weekly maintenance needs, harvest yields, community engagement and special projects
- Recruit, train, and oversee volunteers to support the day-to-day operations of the People’s Garden
- Work closely with the AUSU Food Pantry to coordinate the delivery and availability of People’s Garden produce and herbs
- Work with Finance Coordinator and AUSU Equity Centre Program Coordinator to provide; period financial and activity reports for funding and planning purposes when necessary
- Be the main point of contact and representative for the People’s Garden
- Work closely with AUSU Equity Centre and Finance Coordinator to maintain financial stability, inform of financial needs and concerns, and plan for upcoming seasons.
- Work with AUSU media coordinator to develop outreach, fundraising, and volunteer recruitment strategy and materials
- Develop and lead educational and advocacy based programming around food, sustainability, and community engagement
- Represent the Algoma University Students’ Union and uphold its values, mission statement, and strategic plan
- Shall attend AUSU board and committee meetings as necessary
- Shall perform any other duties that are in the best interest of AUSU as approved and/or mandated by the Board, its By-laws, policies, and/or members.
- Must be enrolled in a post secondary degree in a program such as Community Economic & Social Development, Social Work, Geography, Biology, Environmental Science or other related program at Algoma University
- Must be passionate about gardening, the outdoors, and/ or food security and hold a minimum of 1 year of experience working or volunteering
- Must be eligible to legally work in Canada
- Must have some experience in a supervisory role and team leadership skills
- Comfortable working independently, remotely, and in an outdoor and office setting
- Preference will be given to currently enrolled Algoma University students first and then-recent graduates
- Ability to provide a clear Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
How to apply:
If you are looking for a challenging and deeply rewarding opportunity, and you believe you meet the requirements to be successful in this role, please submit a cover letter, resume, and two references via email to email@example.com by Monday, August 1st at 4 PM.
This one-year contract position offers a Competitive Base Wage of $17.20/Hour plus a flexible work environment and an Extended Healthcare & Dental Benefit Package. A contract extension will be considered based on performance. Only those advancing to the interview stage will be contacted.
AUSU is an equal opportunity employer who offers a diverse work environment. Applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.